Many of you might think – “Hey! how come my fellow student visited the USA for the whole vacations? What is it all about? Is it something I could do myself?” YES! The answer is yes! It is the Summer Work and Travel Program in the USA.
So… What is this Program?
Summer Work and Travel is a carefully crafted US Department of State program, to allow foreign students to visit the USA for the whole vacations and work legally for up to even 4 months to support your stay and travel. Yes! Travel is one of the components not just a name in the program. After the program, you are allowed to travel within the US borders for up to 30 days.
There are 3 main components for the program:
- cultural exchange – getting familiar with the US culture and students from all around the World
- travel – see all the spots you know from the movies and media
- work – support yourself during your stay and travel period
In other words, you live in the USA, explore the culture, and travel within the earned money.
Make sure you meet a couple of requirements before you apply:
- age requirement – 18 – 30 years old
- students status – you are actively studying in the higher education institution
- English skills level – you can live and work in the English speaking environment
- job offer – you have a proper job offer before you apply for the visa
- clean criminal background – you should not be involved in any illegal activity
- drugs free – drugs are illegal, don’t use them!
- pocket money – you have to bring enough cash with you to least till the first paycheck
Read more about the requirements here.