What is the Work and Travel program?

Work and Travel is a cultural exchange program that allows students from all over the world to spend their summer vacations in the USA. To support your stay, you can work in certain areas.

Do I need a visa to participate in the program?

Yes. You will need a J1 visa to enter the US and begin your program. If your country is in the Visa Waiver program, it doesn’t change the fact that you will still need a J1 visa.

Do I have to be a student to participate in the program?

Yes, you have to be an active student at the time of applying for the visa. Each country may vary in details, but YOU HAVE TO BE a student, to take part in the program.

Can I perform any job?

No. There are strict regulations about the jobs you can perform on the program to ensure the safety and experience of students. You can read more here: https://workandtravel.io/your-job-what-are-the-requirements/

What is the age range for the participants?

Usually, you should be between 18 and 30 years old. There are no strict age criteria in the regulations, but it would be suspicious if you apply for the student exchange program at the age of 45 😉 

We have experienced sending students a bit older than 30 years old. Remember, you will always have to justify that at the visa interview.

Can I go for the program multiple times?

Yes. Some students took part in the program over five times 🙂 Remember, some specific regulations may apply to your home country. 

Can I travel outside the USA during the program?

Yes, but please remember to submit your documents to your sponsor before you go outside the US. You can only leave and reenter the US between your program dates. 

Can I use Work and Travel at any time I want?

No. There are specific dates for each country. You can check them here: https://j1visa.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-Program-Date-Chart-Dec-Final.pdf

Do I have to go through the visa appointment?

Yes. To get a J1 visa, you will have to go through the visa process in your local embassy or consulate.